Last night, Tom Sawyer by Rush came through as I was finishing up my last set of these cable shoulder things and guacamole, was it great!
I’m not a Rush expert and I couldn’t probably name off any other songs exact but that voice… I just love it!
This is my third week of gym consistency and I have to tell you, I am so happy. It’s so refreshing to have a routine and it really does take about two weeks of “okay, get dressed and just go” along side “enjoy the apple instead of the pie” to settle into it.
My gym gal and I were totally talking about this today while we sauna’d. I am 100% an abstainer. I am either all in, or all out. And, when I’m in, I am all in. That’s why Whole30’s and “strict paleo days” work so well for me. I grow obsessed and after a few days of discomfort, I truly am “good to go.”
However, after my “meh” Whole100 turned Whole49, I fell into a “I can be a moderator” mindset. Allowing myself the grace to enjoy based on that statement alone, sent me in a spiral.
My “moderation” easily became something every day. After a few months of moderating life weekly, it really did add up. Insert, the dresses I’ve worn from not being able to zip my pants. Oops.
Though I am not claiming “30 days of x” right this second, being consistent in the gym has given me the extra boost I needed when eating out of the kitchen. The gym is a small part of the equation and no matter how much I do it, if the kitchen isn’t clean, I’ll never feel the true wellness comfort.
So, I sat down a few nights ago and really thought about what I wanted for myself. Of course, pulling out the jeans from 2013 would be nice but, is that “it”? So, you get down to a number and then what? I finally came to it: Control.
I want control for myself. A very healthy, positive, and uplifting “control”. Not the, “have the self control to not eat x” but the “I am capable of fulfilling my wildest dreams because I have the control to make it happen” kind of control.
This chicken salad totally fueled my last night and after receiving a few recipe requests, I decided to hang it up here in my little internet corner!
Chicken salad is one of those things that you really can’t mess up. You can throw almost anything in a bowl with chicken and mayo and get the job done. With that said, the measurements below are a little loose. If you want a creamier salad, add more mayo or Dijon! If you like more crunch, add more nuts, fruit, or celery!
Make it your own and come share it with me over on insta or Facebook by tagging @wholesome_joy! AND, if you happen to make a banging chicken salad with pineapple like Jason’s Deli… HELP A GIRL OUT and share it with me!
A few ideas on how to enjoy this:
- My go-to is to toast a slice or two of a sweet potato and either enjoy as a sandwich, or a cracker. If you have never attempted sweet potato toast, do not fret, it was one of my first posts ever and you can find it right here.
- Hollow out an avocado and fill the center with your chicken mixture!
- Scoop it over a bright green arugula salad. Alternatively, opt for romaine or Bibb lettuce and swaddle it like a baby!
Classic Chicken Salad
- 1, 12.5 can chicken, drained
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 celery stock, diced
- 3 tablespoons almonds, cut to your preference
- 1/4 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to your preference
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix with a fork, breaking and shredding chicken.
- Serve in between you favorite sandwich bread substitution, on top of a salad, inside a hollowed avocado, or as a lettuce wrap.
One thought on “Classic Chicken Salad”
Oh!!! YYZ is my all time fave Rush song. All time fave.
Looks deelish, Kiddo. I have the most the goods to get this little salad into a wrap in time for lunch today. Thanks for the inspiration for more than just veggie salad.